- Butter for baking dish
- 3 packages of frozen chopped spinach (thawed and squeezed dry)
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated Gruyere cheese
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
1. Preheat oven t0 350. Butter a shallow 1 quart baking dish.
2. In a large bowl combine spinach, half-and-half, eggs, 1 cup cheese, 2 teaspoons salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
3. Spread evenly in baking dish. Top with remaining cheese.
4. Bake until set and top is golden, 30-35 minutes.
Have you even had Gruyere cheese? It's like heaven in your mouth. While cooking this my sister Samantha and I must have eaten at least a handful each. I know it is pricey, but buy it, and buy lots of it, because you're going to need to eat at least a cup before you even start on cooking.
When I heard that nutmeg was a secret ingredient, my inner baker jumped up and down and did a back flip. Thoughts of cookies danced through my head and I smiled for three days straight.
Then I met up with Becky, who had picked the secret ingredient and she told me she was planning to make A REAL DINNER using nutmeg. I was completely floored. You can do that?
I did some searching and came up with the above recipe. I am the happiest clam that my household has discovered this SUPER easy, SUPER tasty dish. Even my extreme workout and dieting sister ate thirds.
Recipe from Martha Stewart Living magazine.