Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sarah: Iron Chef Blogger Challenge- Cream Cheese

Ingredients

1 box chocolate cake mix (and ingredients required by package)
3 1/2 cups of milk
8 oz of cream cheese
2 tubs Cool Whip
2 small boxes instant vanilla pudding
1/2 stick of butter (softened)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup milk chocolate chips

1. Combine milk, butter and cream cheese in a mixer until there are NO lumps. Add in milk, instant pudding and Cool Whip. Mix until completely combined (will be a bit soupy). This will be your frosting.

2. Cover frosting in bowl with foil and but in the refrigerator.

3. Make cake according to package in 2 round pans. Let cool slightly.

4. Melt chocolate in your microwave, pour melted chocolate onto one side of each of the cake halves and spread evenly. Let cool completely.

5. Pull out your icing, which is still going to be a little soupy. Pour some icing onto of one of the cake halves, onto of the chocolate you poured on. Put the other cake on top of the icing, chocolate side down. Ice cake completely.

6. Refrigerate cake. Don't let sit out, as icing will likely to bad.

----REVIEW---

When I heard that this battle had to do with cream cheese, I automatically thought of Dirt Cake, which is one of B's favorite desserts that I make. In the spirit of pushing the envelope, I decided to take elements of Dirt Cake and turn it into an actual cake.

Be careful when pouring on the icing, you should end up with A LOT left over (which I would suggest you use to make real dirt cake). I poured on way too much and spent the next 30 minutes scooping goop off of my counter and cake plate.

The next time I make this I am going to try to get the "icing" to be a bit thicker. I am thinking of adding LESS milk and maybe crushed up Oreos. Also, I think I will make the icing and let it sit over night before making the cake.

Thoughts?

ALSO- it's not a strange picture angle, for some reason my cake is very lean-y (even though the layers are perfectly lined up).

No comments:

Post a Comment